Founded in 1917 by Charles S. Lewis as a residential park with 110 home sites, Brendonwood features winding roads and hundreds of thousands of trees and shrubs on 350 acres
Designed by George Kessler, a St. Louis landscape architect and city and park planner, for whom Kessler Boulevard is named.
Nine-hole golf course, swimming pool and tennis courts are part of the planned community.
Brendonwood Historic District, 097-295-02000, roughly bounded by Fall Creek, 56 th Street, and Brendon Forest Drive, Indianapolis, Marion County
Brendonwood was identified in the 1994 Pike and Lawrence Townships Interim Report, Marion County. The district has statewide significance as a remarkably intact example of George Edward Kessler’sresidential work. The application provides ample evidence of the original and current land uses, circulation patterns, and even some plantings (Mall, the hedges) to cite landscape architecture as an area of significance. Architecturally, the area includes a diverse gathering of popular early to mid-twentieth century housing types and styles, many designs executed by well-known Indianapolis architects. Staff recommends approval for the State and National Registers, under Criteria A and C.