|Hermann Park Conservancy|
Hermann Park, presented to the City of Houston by George Hermann in 1914, is Houston's most historically significant public green space. Over the years, the Houston Zoo, Miller Outdoor Theatre, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, and the first desegregated public golf course in the United States have all added to the Park's importance as a recreational destination. By the late 1980's however, due to insufficient public resources and very high public attendance, the Park became rundown and entered a state of disrepair. As a result, a number of Houstonians formed Friends of Hermann Park (FHP) to encourage the development of more attractive, usable green space in Hermann Park, and to promote the restoration of the Park to its original standards of beauty.
In 1993, FHP commissioned a master plan for Hermann Park from Hanna/Olin Partnership of Philadelphia, a landscape architectural group recognized internationally for the excellence of its work in public parks around the United States and Europe. This Master Plan, created in consultation with the City of Houston and various stakeholders, was adopted in 1997 by City Council.
In July 2004, FHP changed its name to the Hermann Park Conservancy (HPC) to reflect its expanded mission in park stewardship.
HPC continues to build upon its successful working partnership with the City of Houston whereby HPC funds and manages the design of projects to be undertaken in the Park, and then shares the construction cost of these projects with the City. In the last five years, under this award-winning partnership, HPC and the city have spent over $29 million to enhance and restore Hermann Park.
Hermann Park Conservancy
Old Clubhouse at Hermann Park
6201 A Golf Course Drive
Houston, TX 77030